Thursday, January 13, 2011

Charity begins at home.

There’s definitely an “oy” in Illinois. The Howdygram would like to send its condolences to the unfortunate residents of Illinois, whose legislature just voted for a 67% increase in the state’s flat-rate income tax ... EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY.

Illinois has been completely broke for several years. Now Illinois TAXPAYERS will all be completely broke, too. And if that’s not bad enough, parking meters in Chicago have been increased to $5 an hour and the city’s sales tax is 10¼%. Frankly, I don’t know why anybody still lives there. It certainly can’t be for the terrific weather and low crime rate. (Maybe it’s for the great restaurants. Except now nobody can afford to go out.)

Australia redefines “down under.” For those of you with an interest in this continuing disaster of Biblical proportions, I thought I’d post a few of the latest flood photos from Brisbane, Australia.

In my post yesterday I introduced NOSE PLUGS FOR AUSTRALIA, the Howdygram’s brand new charity drive. Here’s what I’m proposing. If every Howdygram reader (including YOU) will send me just $250, I’ll buy some nice nose plugs online and fly to Canberra with Sam to deliver them in person to the Australian government. Your donation also will cover our organization’s administrative fees, entertainment expenses and assorted essential travel expenditures like new outfits for the trip, comfortable shoes, buying postcards, a bus tour of Sydney and an upgrade to first class on Qantas Airlines for both of us because Sam is way too tall for coach. Click here to make your donation now. Sam and I thank you in advance for your overwhelming generosity. G’day, mate.

No comments: