Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Hawaii’s Tom Brower: Another sociopath disguised as a public servant.

In this post: Sociopaths in the news, kvetch report, women who stare at shoes.

Another day, another frustrating pain. This time it’s my SHINS, people. They’re killing me, even when I’m not walking or standing. They also hurt when I sit if there’s any pressure whatsoever on my legs. According to WebMD.com and the National Institute of Health this is yet another entertaining side effect of diabetic peripheral neuropathy. About half an hour ago I emptied the dishwasher, loaded some dirty dishes and washed a frying pan. By the time I was done I wanted to blow my brains out.

It occurs to me that the Howdygram’s Putz of the Week is named incorrectly. It should be Putz of the Day, judging from how often I dredge up qualified dickwad honorees. And so, hot on the heels of yesterday’s award, I’m compelled to offer one more for your consideration. This time it’s Hawaiian State Representative Tom Brower, another sociopath disguised as a public servant who’s making headlines for his novel and humanitarian solution to aid the homeless in Honolulu. He’s trolling around town with a sledgehammer, terrifying marginalized citizens by smashing their shopping carts and destroying their possessions.
Admitting that he’s “disgusted” with homeless people, Brower told the Honolulu Star Advertiser about his personal campaign for justice: “If I see shopping carts that I can’t identify, I will destroy them so they can’t be pushed on the streets.” Brower has been harrassing the homeless for two weeks and has smashed about 30 shopping carts so far. Anxious to do something practical that will really clean up the town, Brower proceeded to show off his considerable cart-smashing skills ... while wearing an Armani hat.
But wait ... there’s more! With the highest rate of homelessness in the United States you’d think Hawaii’s lawmakers would strive to build more shelters and provide essential services to the poor. Nope. The state legislature voted instead to spend $100,000 to fund one-way flights off the islands for any of the state’s 17,000 homeless citizens. What a great idea, Hawaii. Just ship them somewhere else to starve.

I think I’ll go sit in the closet for a while and stare at shoes. Thank you for reading this.

No comments: