Friday, November 15, 2013

The town of Milford blew up yesterday.

In this post: Today’s finds, crappy feet, Chevron makes a boo-boo.

It’s the middle of the night and my feet hurt (again) so I decided to horse around with the Howdygram until I’m ready to go back to bed. To keep myself occupied in the meantime I just ordered three very cute cotton knit turtlenecks — white, yellow and pink — at 25% off with free shipping. FREE SHIPPING! And because it looks seriously stupid to display a hunk of summer flowers on your front door in the middle of November, I also ordered a winter wreath on sale from Kirklands.com that’s NOT “ho-ho-ho,” a Christmas bow on steroids or a gigantic poinsettia. (I hate poinsettias. You can ask anybody.)

Breaking news from north Texas! The town of Milford, population 700, was evacuated on Thursday after a Chevron pipeline blew up and scared the living crap out of everybody. A bunch of schoolchildren were herded over to the high school and other citizens crowded into the local Waffle House. Chevron employees working on the drilling rig managed to escape before it was engulfed in flames. Milford is about 50 miles south of Dallas. It’s still on fire as I write this post.
The map below indicates: A) Howdygram headquarters in Mesquite; B) what’s left of Milford, Texas; and C) future location of the new Buc-ee’s Truck Stop directly across from the Russell Stover outlet store on Interstate 20 in Terrell. Is Texas fun, or what?
Holy crap. It’s almost 4:30 in the morning and I’m still wide awake! At this point I think I’ll just try to nap on the chaise in the family room for a few hours because my feet are still acting weird (it’s diabetic peripheral neuropathy, in case you’re interested) and there’s no way I’ll ever be able to get comfortable in bed like this. I might watch a movie, too, because I recorded a couple of good ones yesterday: 1) Evil Under the Sun (1982) starring James Mason, Peter Ustinov, Maggie Smith and an all-star cast; and 2) Woman of the Year (1940) starring Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. Oh hell, why not ... I’ll watch BOTH of ’em.

Thank you for reading this.

No comments: