Friday, July 30, 2010

A bowl of happiness to share with friends and relatives.

I promised you my recipe for Marcy’s Wild West Guacamole, and here it is ... right on schedule. Trust me, this is one of the best guacamole recipes EVER and you’ll have a hard time not eating the entire bowl by yourself with five pounds of tortilla chips or even a big spoon. If you’ve never made guacamole before and don’t know how to cut an avocado, I’m including a nice video demo I found on YouTube.
  • 6 to 8 ripe Hass avocados
  • 1 medium purple onion, diced
  • Bunch of fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Juice of 2 limes
  • ¼ cup diced jalapeños (from a jar)
  • Several generous shots of Tabasco sauce
  • Cayenne pepper and salt to taste
With a large sharp knife, cut each avocado lengthwise around the seed, twist open the two halves and remove the pit. Scoop out the soft contents with a soup spoon and discard the skins. Mash the avocados in a large bowl but make sure everything stays chunky. Add the rest of the ingredients, then call some friends and have a party!
A few important tips: 1) I always use sliced jalapeños that come in a jar and dice them in fourths before I add them to my guacamole; 2) fresh cilantro is MANDATORY, so buy a bunch from the produce department, yank off the little leaves and chop them up; and 3) feel free to use a decent amount of salt and cayenne pepper because they really add to the flavor. (Unsalted guacamole is annoying.) Thank you.



No comments: