Sunday, November 25, 2012

Bad news. Howdygram headquarters has run out of Thanksgiving leftovers.

It wasn’t really my plan to not write a Howdygram post on Saturday. I wanted to. Seriously, I did. But Saturday turned out to be “creaky” for me, arthritically-speaking, and apparently I wasted far too much time whining, taking pain medication and not moving around whenever the opportunity presented itself. It’s only six minutes past midnight and I’m already hoping today will be better. Thank you for hoping with me.

By now I’m sure everybody knows that J.R. Ewing died again. This time, though, it was actually Larry Hagman, 81, who passed away on Friday here in Texas while filming season two of the resurrected “Dallas.” Hagman is shown below posing in front of Southfork Ranch, which is actually a semi-cheesy event center now for weddings and bar mitzvahs.
I was a huge fan of the original “Dallas” series (1978 to 1991) and got hooked on the reboot when it debuted this past June. Sam doesn’t quite get it, but I think there’s something gratifying about watching miserable, dysfunctional rich people betray their best friends, cheat their business partners and destroy their relatives. It makes me feel so much better about my stiff knees.

As far as I can tell Sam and I have no plans for Sunday whatsoever, although there are a couple of good NFL games we can watch, I’ve got Ben-Hur on the DVR and I’m considering a nice pot of chicken barley soup. Visitors are welcome if you’d like to join us. Please send an email at your earliest convenience to reserve space on the sofa.

Bad news. Howdygram headquarters has run out of Thanksgiving leftovers. Sam finished the last of it Friday night after work, and I’m so depressed I might have to order another boneless turkey roast from Boston Market. In case you’ve never had one, this thing is FABULOUS. You get a three-pound chunk of solid white meat in its own roasting bag and pan that you pop into a 350° oven for 90 minutes. EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK CAN BE THANKSGIVING!

I think I should wake Sam so we can go to bed. He’s been unconscious in the family room since 8:30 last night and just slept through The Horse Whisperer (three hours) starring Robert Redford. Sam sleeps through the some of the finest movies ever made.

Thank you for stopping by.

No comments: