Friday, November 16, 2012

The classic Margherita pizza: tomatoes, mozzarella and licorice.

A new day dawns in Diabetesland, where my complaints du jour include lightheadedness, loss of balance and shortness of breath. All are different manifestations of diabetic neuropathy, causing me to bump into walls, act like a crab and spill Coke Zero all over the coffee table. WITH ICE CUBES. As soon as I finish this post I think I’ll put my feet up for a while and watch a movie. I’m definitely not much good for anything else right now.

Remember the piece of pizza I had for lunch yesterday? Although over the years I’ve been known to eat practically anything, the pie in question was a greasy, unpalatable “Margherita-style” thing from Sal’s in Dallas with dough like a steel-belted radial and big clumps of fresh basil. It’s actually the basil that wrecked it for me. Basil tastes like licorice AND LICORICE TASTES LIKE CRAP! I got so hysterical I had to resort to drastic action. I threw the entire pizza in the garbage, ate a low-carb chocolate bar and watched Please Don’t Eat the Daisies starring Doris Day.
Concerning that image of Mitt Romney in yesterday’s Howdygram post, the one labeled “Winner, 2012 Thurston Howell Award” ... just in case the name doesn’t ring a bell, Thurston Howell was the pompous millionaire on “Gilligan’s Island” who embarked on that infamous three-hour tour with a year’s supply of formalwear, satin smoking jackets and a suitcase stuffed with cash.
Oy, what a life. Thank you for reading this.

No comments: