Thursday, February 4, 2010

The ghost of Super Bowl past.

As we creep up to Super Bowl XLIV (in case you can’t translate Roman numerals, that’s a “44”) I’m reminded of a Super Bowl past in 1985 when my hometown team, the Chicago Bears, were the greatest single season team in NFL history. For your viewing enjoyment, here’s the original rap video that also turned them into big-time media stars. Were these guys adorable, or what?


I remember the ticker-tape parade in downtown Chicago after the Bears won Super Bowl XX. I was actually THERE, in sub-zero weather, watching the team inch down LaSalle Street on the open roof of a double-decker bus, hundreds of thousands of screaming fans lining the sidewalks and a blizzard of confetti choking the sky from the windows of office buildings. It’s an indelible memory and the closest I ever came to frostbite even though I was wearing a full-length mink coat. (No social commentary, please. In those days I’d do damn near ANYTHING to keep warm.) Shalom.

No comments: