Sunday, February 14, 2010

Things to do on Valentine's Day.

Seriously, it really isn’t my intention to print a list of suggested activities for Valentine’s Day, such as taking somebody out for a club sandwich with fries and a dill pickle, shlepping home a few chocolates, blowing up balloons or splurging on a bouquet of flowery whatevers. Instead I’ll discuss what’s happening right here at the Howdygram nerve center, which is always a hub of excitement and adventure. Okay, maybe not.

For one thing, let’s all take a moment to remember recently-deceased Captain Phil from the Discovery Channel’s “Deadliest Catch” TV series, who conked out last week on board his Alaskan crab fishing boat Cornelia Marie. If you’ve never watched this show, you should really treat yourself. It’s about five boats filled with lunatic crab fishermen as they zoom around the Bering Sea in the dead of winter dodging hurricane-force winds, thousand-foot waves and ice chunks the size of South Dakota. Captain Phil’s diet apparently consisted of bacon, Red Bull and Marlboros, so his death at age 53 was no huge surprise.

Today I’m also celebrating the arrival of my new iMac computer, which arrived last night (no kidding) via FedEx Ground. It’s still in the box because I stopped installing my own computer hardware about 10 years ago. I hire people to do that for me now! I had an excellent professional set-up dude when I lived in California and I’ve got another one here in Dallas, except her name is Betty. As soon as all this gorgeous new stuff is up and running I’ll post a photo on the Howdygram. Thank you for reading this ... and happy Valentine’s Day, y’all.

No comments: