Thursday, August 12, 2010

Take time to enjoy Norma Shearer Day.

I don’t know if you’re a fan of classic movies or not, but today is officially Norma Shearer Day on TCM and I think you should stop whatever you’re doing and watch a few of her films.
There’s still a chance to see any or all of the following Norma Shearer movies (times listed are Central):
  • Escape (1940) at 3:15 p.m. with Robert Taylor and Conrad Veidt.
  • Idiot’s Delight (1939) at 5 p.m. with Clark Gable and Edward Arnold. (This one actually sucks, so you might want to read my review before giving up two hours of your life.)
  • The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg (1927) at 7:00 p.m. with Ramon Novarro and Jean Hersholt. (Silent.) Directed by Ernst Lubitsch. (Silent movies get on my nerves. If you look away from the screen for five minutes to eat an egg roll you have no idea what’s going on.)
  • Private Lives (1931) 9:00 p.m. with Robert Montgomery.
  • Romeo and Juliet (1936) 10:30 p.m. with Leslie Howard and John Barrymore. (Norma was at least 20 years too old for the part of Juliet.)
  • Marie Antoinette (1938) 12:45 a.m. with Tyrone Power and Robert Morley. (One of my favorites. Robert Morley is terrific, too.)
  • Strangers May Kiss (1931) 3:30 a.m. with Robert Montgomery and Neil Hamilton.
And now, as a brief update to my recent restaurant review, I need to report that Zinsky’s Deli in Dallas is out of business, although Sam and I are not surprised whatsoever. Unfortunately, now I have to start another quest for chopped liver in a town that specializes in chicken fried steak. It’s not an easy life.

Thank you for reading this. I mean it.

No comments: