Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Our guardian angel really knows his stuff.

Sam and I have a guardian angel. There are millions of little reasons why we believe this, but four events today convinced us beyond all doubt. In case you’re a skeptic, read on.

Divine Intervention with Serious Medical Issues. It all started this morning when I went to the doctor for my quarterly checkup. First the receptionist tells me she doesn’t need a $25 co-pay because I’ve got a CREDIT on the books, then my doctor gives me a huge bear hug when she walks in the room and makes me feel like a long-lost best friend who showed up to return her favorite sweater, and finally the phlebotomist in the lab actually finds a good vein on the very first try and doesn’t have to yell at me for not drinking enough water. At this point I’m pretty sure I’m in the Twilight Zone.

Divine Financial Assistance. Sam’s cell phone rings as soon as we get home from the doctor and it’s our mortgage guy at Wells Fargo. He tells us that we not only won’t owe $700 out-of-pocket when we refinance our mortgage later this month, THE BANK ACTUALLY OWES US $118. Even better, we don’t need to make our September 10 mortgage payment, and because Wells Fargo accidentally overpaid our annual homeowners insurance a couple of months ago we’re also getting an unexpected REFUND of about $1,000. All of a sudden it’s like someone threw a Christmas party in our checking account with free hors d’oeuvres.

Divine Revenge Against Stupid and Mysterious Fees. And then I get my August merchant account statement in the mail this morning and discover a deduction for a bogus “mystery fee” of $99.95. I call to find out what’s going on and talk to Valerie the Crab, who insists that it’s a routine annual charge designed to defraud their customers and steal from their bank accounts without explanation (my interpretation) ... but surprisingly Val can’t tell me what the fee is for or why I have to pay it. This definitely gets me irritated because these bozos already keep a percentage of my credit card transactions, which is the cost of doing business when you own a credit card terminal. So I call my account executive, the brilliant and wonderful Evelyn, who agrees to reverse the charge. I’m so happy I want to buy her breakfast, except I’m in Texas and she’s in Los Angeles cleaning her condo for the Jewish high holidays.

Divine Protection Against Tornadoes. Thanks to tropical storm Hermine we had a LOT of weather around here today, including seven inches of rain and two tornadoes ... one around 5:30 slightly east of us in Sunnyvale, Forney and Heath that interrupted my “People’s Court” rerun with a lot of frantic National Weather Service warnings, and another just north of downtown Dallas (see below) a few minutes later that sent Sam scrambling to the main floor of his office building with a Clif bar. This was a very major hoo-hah. The downtown twister plowed through the Park Cities area, down Mockingbird Lane into Love Field airport and then headed toward a strip mall in the northern suburbs. At last report the tornado was pulling into Wendy’s for a burger and fries.
Incidentally, it’s Rosh Hashanah, and Sam and I would like to wish L’SHANA TOVAH (Happy New Year) to our Jewish friends and relatives. Please enjoy the following religious video with our very best wishes. Thank you for reading this. Pass the chicken soup, y’all.


No comments: