Sunday, July 10, 2011

Thoughts for a lazy Sunday.

Promise me you won’t be shocked when I tell you this, but I just got out of bed. And I’m seriously thinking about going BACK because I can’t seem to wake up. Maybe I’ll just sit here and noodle around with the Howdygram for a while until I decide what I want to do. Please put up with me. It’s going to be a very lazy day!

Actually, it was lazy around here LAST NIGHT, too. I’ll bet it’s the heat. We picked up barbecue for dinner from Dickey’s and finished eating around 6:30 while we were watching Red River. Sam conked out about half an hour into the movie and then continued to sleep through supersonic jets and screaming world leaders in Fail Safe, 90 minutes of blooping sonar noises and a nuclear explosion in The Bedford Incident and All the Presidents Men.

Sam could win a contest as the Howdygram’s all-time champion napper. I don’t know how he does it. SIX HOURS IN ONE POSITION ON A SOFA — with a nuclear holocaust in the background!

While Sam was unconscious last night I had some time to eat pretzels and dill pickles (a new craving) and reflect upon my favorite western movies. Sam and I have always agreed that our four favorite westerns are Stagecoach, Three Godfathers, Red River and The Searchers — all starring John Wayne, which is an interesting point that I didn’t really think much about until last night.
Not only are these four movies the best performances of Wayne’s career, they’re also the four best westerns ever made on Earth since the beginning of time and that covers a LOT of territory dating all the way back to ancient Mesopotamia in 3100 B.C. I’m not joking about this.

By the way, if you’re a big fan of westerns please DO NOT bombard me with comments here about the merits of Shane or High Noon. Alan Ladd was a moody little shrimp who had to stand on a box to make himself taller and Gary Cooper had as much screen presence as driftwood. They may look normal in the poses below, but don’t be fooled.
It’s time for a nap. Thank you for reading this.

No comments: