Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Insomnia and potato salad.

The problem is, I conked out on the sofa around 11:30 last night and woke up at 2 a.m. I tried going to bed but couldn’t fall asleep again, so here I am ... writing movie reviews and eating saltines. If I wasn’t concerned about waking Sam I’d actually be in the kitchen right now making Marcy’s Famous Potato Salad ... but I think I’d better put that off until later this morning. In the meantime, I’ll share my recipe because I think it’s the best potato salad on earth, and I know Sam agrees with me. This recipe makes a large batch. You can cut it in half if you want to, but trust me ... make the whole recipe and you’ll be glad you did.
  • 5 lbs. red potatoes
  • 6 hard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
  • 6 ribs celery, diced
  • 1 purple onion, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 2 cups mayonnaise
  • 2 teaspoons Lawry’s seasoned salt
  • ¼ cup liquid from a jar of Kosher dills or green olives
Cut the potatoes in half and simmer in a kettle of salted water until cooked through and soft. Drain and cool at room temperature, then cover and refrigerate overnight. Cube the cold potatoes (leave the skins on) and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the chopped hard-boiled eggs, celery, onion and bell pepper. In a small bowl blend the mayonnaise, seasoned salt and ¼ cup liquid to make a dressing. Pour over the potato mixture and toss gently with a couple of wooden spoons so you don’t smoosh the potatoes. No kidding, this stuff is so good you can eat it as a main course!
I’ll try to include a photo of this recipe later today providing I remember to shoot some pictures before we start eating. No guarantees. Thank you for reading this.

No comments: