Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Aerial shpritzing for West Nile virus starts tomorrow.

In response to a state of emergency all over north Texas, the forward-thinking city of Mesquite has asked Dallas County to include us in their aerial spraying program to murder mosquitoes carrying the West Nile virus. So far we’ve got 449 confirmed cases of West Nile in the Dallas metro area with 15 fatalities (two more deaths last night). As a senior citizen with diabetes I’ve got a suppressed immune system that makes me particularly susceptible to serious complications from West Nile, so I’m definitely in favor of aggressive mosquito abatement. I also plan to stay indoors with large quantities of Chinese food. Aerial shpritzing, as depicted below, will begin tomorrow evening.
From our Epic Fail department, Schwan’s didn’t show up this morning with my bimonthly load of frozen whatnots! Sam saw our delivery doofus drive up in front of the house and then pull away a minute later, which is weird behavior even for Gary, so I double-checked my shopping cart on Schwans.com and discovered that my online transaction never went through yesterday. I called Gary’s cell and he came back about an hour later with everything on my list except for one bag of frozen mozzarella sticks. (I wanted three and only got two. I don’t know if I’ll be able to break the news to Sam.) Today’s delivery included all of the following:
For your possible interest I wound up returning a product to my Schwan’s driver this morning … the Fully Cooked Turkey Sausage Patties (see below) that I bought for the first time two weeks ago. These little critters actually had a lot of positives — texture, nutritional breakdown, easy microwave directions, acceptable price — but the flavor was a seriously weird combination of sausage seasonings with enough sage to sink the Queen Mary. Too bad. These would have been terrific if they didn’t taste like crap.
I think I’ll stare out the front window for a while and wait for China City to come over because I’m really hungry and can’t concentrate on anything else. Thank you for reading this.

No comments: