Thursday, June 2, 2011

Eddie Fisher, Amtrak and a mountain of fruit.

Romance is not dead, and I say this with confidence after nearly 10 years with my adorable Sam. For instance, last night in bed while I’m giving him a back rub I begin to sense that he’s not really paying attention and might actually be ASLEEP. I say his name quietly, to make sure, and here’s what happened next. (Sam’s comments are in black. He remembered almost NONE of this conversation when I reminded him about it this morning.)

Sam? Sweetheart? Are you asleep?
All we need now are Myrna Loy and Eddie Fisher.
What?
Myrna Loy and Eddie Fisher.
What are you talking about?
What did everybody do before railroads?
Railroads? Are you hallucinating?
No. What are you doing with that mountain of fruit?
(Laughing.) I think I’ll eat it. Go back to sleep.

Nearly everything in yesterday’s post under the heading “Marcy’s Calendar” has turned out to be completely bogus. My maid service didn’t show up today and Steve and Therese canceled their trip to Dallas, so I don’t need anything from Bed, Bath and Beyond and I don’t I have to make a big hoo-hah about lunch on Sunday or shlep to Central Market for any fancy food. Come to think of it, the only activity still valid from that entire “to do” list — aside from folding socks and underwear — is Sam’s appointment tomorrow morning to get his stitches removed. And you thought life in Texas was boring.

To cheer myself up this afternoon I bought the following items online.
I’m replacing a very old blender that’s difficult to keep clean and the food mill is a product I’ve been wanting for a long time. It fits over any size bowl and is a lot less trouble than a food processor, particularly since the only reason I need one is to grind up ingredients for tuna salad now that mashing anything by hand is almost impossible with carpal tunnel syndrome. The food mill is from Zappos.com and the blender is from Overstock. I highly recommend both websites for free shipping and no sales tax. I also highly recommend my tuna salad.

Thank you for reading this.

No comments: