Saturday, December 12, 2009

Things to do when you have a cold.

For me, the last thing I do before I collapse on the couch with a blanket, a box of kleenex and the remote is make a very large pot of my intensely therapeutic matzo ball soup. I am not embarrassed to tell you that mine is the best anywhere. It’s probably better than your mother’s (I know it’s better than MY mother’s), because I make the biggest, fluffiest matzo balls that ever walked the earth. They’re lighter than air and tend to fly out of the bowl unless you whack them with a spoon. And they only end up that way because I don’t follow a traditional matzo ball recipe: I double the cooking time.


So here’s how to make a massive batch of Marcy’s Famous Matzo Balls. The ingredients couldn’t be easier:
  • 8 eggs
  • 8 tablespoons oil
  • salt, white pepper and dill (to taste)
  • 2 cups matzo meal
  • 6 quarts boiling salted water
Blend the eggs and oil in a large bowl, add seasonings and matzo meal and mix thoroughly with a fork. Place bowl in refrigerator for 25 minutes. Form matzo mixture into two-inch balls with slightly wet hands and drop them into boiling water. Cover the pot and simmer for 45 to 50 minutes, then turn off the heat and let them sit quietly for another 10 minutes. Remove matzo balls one at a time to a bowl. If you’ve made them in advance (before you’ve made the soup) they can be refrigerated.
Incidentally, this recipe yields enough matzo balls to feed the Israeli army so feel free to cut it in half. And if you have any soup left over you can attach it to an email and send it to me here with a couple of napkins. Shalom y’all.

No comments: