Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Most depressing restaurant in Mesquite.

Sam and I don’t really eat out that often. This is only because he works evenings during the week, and on weekends most popular restaurants around here are usually too crowded. So we tend to revisit the same spots over and over once we figure out the best time to show up without waiting. (We usually eat lunch at 10:45 and dinner at 4. I’m not joking about this.) Anyway, a few weeks ago we got curious and decided to try R & D’s Cafe, a neighborhood sandwich shop/dive/greasy spoon that’s changed names and owners four times in the past year. As we walk in we’re greeted by a very large and lazy manager who’s seated way in back at a corner table and yells at us to “sit anywhere.” We stay near the door in case we want to make a fast getaway.

The menu is cheap and uninspiring so we stick to familiar fare: I order a BLT club and Sam asks for the breakfast taco. If you assume that a restaurant couldn’t louse this up, you’d be dead wrong. My BLT club, which evokes the image of a triple-decker sandwich with ruffled toothpicks, isn’t even close ... I get two strips of cold bacon on white bread with chopped iceberg lettuce and an anemic slice of tomato. After one bite the entire tomato is hanging from my mouth and all the lettuce lands on my plate. And Sam’s breakfast taco? It’s just two scrambled eggs with a teeny cup of salsa. He asks the waitress why it’s called a taco on the menu, and she says, “Beats me. Y’all want me to ask the cook?” (We didn’t.) Lately we’re eating at home a lot more than we used to.  
RATING: D.

No comments: