Friday, September 7, 2012

Marcy’s speedy cream of mushroom soup.

Hello, people! I thought I’d post my favorite cream of mushroom soup recipe in an effort to try and keep my mind off how crappy I feel tonight due to a BIG COLD FRONT that’s rolling into town. There’s no other explanation for the pain in my back and knees. Holy crap.

So here’s my recipe. It’s easy, there aren’t a lot of ingredients, you can throw the whole thing together in about 15 minutes if you’re motivated and (the best part) it tastes way better than anything that comes in a can.
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 3 to 4 cups rehydrated freeze-dried mushrooms (see below)
  • 6 tablespoons CarbQuik
  • 32-oz. container chicken broth
  • 1 cup unflavored Almond Breeze almond milk
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • Black pepper to taste
Melt butter in a large saucepan and sprinkle in the the flour, stirring until both are incorporated into a paste. Add the mushrooms and chicken broth and heat to a simmer, stirring frequently until thickened. Stir in the half & half, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 10 additional minutes and pour into dark brown soup bowls (required).
Let’s discuss freeze-dried mushrooms for a minute, okay? I buy mine from Shelf Reliance. This is an amazing product to keep in your pantry and I’ve usually got two gigantic cans hanging around for gravy, omeletes, soup and whatnot. They practically last forever, rehydrate in three minutes and you’d never know they weren’t fresh from the supermarket. Please try these. You can start with a little sample pouch if you’re not ready to invest in the big #10 can. Thank you for reading this.

No comments: