Friday, October 12, 2012

Extolling the convenience virtues of Costco.

It’s well past midnight and I’m still waiting for Sam to come home from work. He called about half an hour ago to tell me it’s been a hideously busy and generally lousy day, and I think he seriously needs get his ass back to Howdygram headquarters, put on his pajamas and eat an ice cream cone as soon as possible. In the meantime I figure I’ll horse around with the Howdygram and kill some time. I have no idea how long I’ll be here.

I’ve been having an issue lately with the Chicago Tribune’s website. Every time I try to launch the site my browser (Firefox) locks up and I have to “force quit” every open tab, which is especially annoying if I’m working on a Howdygram post because usually I can’t retrieve what I’ve already written. This leads to a lot of swearing and unplanned Amazon orders because I shop when I’m frustrated. Also when I’m bored, hungry, weepy, silly, scared, achy, crabby, happy, sullen, hysterical, under the weather and/or extremely tired.

No kidding. Ask Sam.

Here’s some hot news ... I’ve got an appointment for an eye exam Saturday morning! This time I’m using Dr. Field, the optometrist at Costco (stop laughing), because her prices are great and her office is actually inside the store, which makes it really convenient for Sam to run around filling a cart with pistachios, garbage bags, chicken salad, detergent and industrial-size drums of toothpaste while I’m reading eye charts.
Confidentially, I don’t actually intend to get new glasses. My physician recommends an annual eye exam because I’m diabetic, which is fine, but I have no problem with the glasses I’m wearing right now and don’t feel like spending $400 for another pair of progressive trifocals. For your possible interest, below is a photo of Dr. Field with her eyewear mascot, “Batman.”
Sam called a few minutes ago to tell me he’ll be leaving the office by 2 a.m., which gives me just enough time for a nice hot shower. Turn off the lights when you’re done here, okay?

No comments: