Thursday, October 4, 2012

Mealtime insulin injections are easy, painless and fun. (Okay, not fun.)

Hi, people. Today is National Taco Day! Although I might be the only Jewish senior citizen in North America with actual plans for a private celebration, I’m seriously considering homemade tacos for dinner tonight with low-carb taco shells and Shelf Reliance taco-flavored textured vegetable protein. (Stop laughing. This crap is really good.) I’ve got enough on hand to feed company, so please send an email at your earliest convenience if you’d like to come over. Thank you.

Breaking news from Diabetesland! I just found out I’m going to save a FORTUNE if I start buying all of my diabetes supplies exclusively from Wal-Mart ... and I’m not just talking about prescriptions, either. This morning Sam stopped at our local Wal-Mart store on Town East Boulevard and bought me a box of 100 ReliOn insulin syringes (that’s Wal-Mart’s private label) for only $12, which is less than half what other brands cost. I got hysterical and looked up the entire line of ReliOn products on Wal-Mart’s website, and they’ve got all kinds of essential paraphernalia for diabetics at prices that are monumentally cheaper than anything I’ve found on the Internet, including Amazon and American Diabetes Wholesale. I thought my head would explode! I ordered a new glucose meter for only $14 and a box of 50 test strips for $9. Trust me, nine bucks for 50 test strips is INCREDIBLE. The brand I’ve been using (FreeStyle Lite) costs about $30 for 50 strips when I’m lucky enough to find them on Amazon; if I have to buy this crapola from a pharmacy my co-pay is $45. WOW.
Don’t cry for me, Argentina, but I remember when I used to get excited about designer shoes or great airfare to Cancun. Now it’s cheap insulin syringes.

As long as I’m on the subject, Sam watched as I did my very first mealtime insulin injection this morning ... six teeny units of Humulin half an hour before lunch. It was easy, painless and fun! (Okay, not fun.)

I think I’ll take a break from all this excitement and stretch out in the family room for a while. Thank you for reading this.

No comments: