Sunday, October 7, 2012

I think cool zombies should count for something, don’t you?

Know what? Sam saved my life this morning! I woke up at 5 a.m. in the middle of a hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) incident, feeling shaky, disoriented, crappy and uncontrollably hungry. He helped me into the study so I could test my blood sugar and it was only 50, the lowest reading I’ve ever had. So Sam brought me some raisins from the pantry and nuked one of those Schwan’s fake Egg McMuffin things for me. It took half an hour until I felt steady enough to go back to bed.
Regarding blood sugar numbers. Normal is considered 80 to 120; the result is considered low at 70 and dangerously low at 50, especially for a diabetic. I might have triggered this situation myself last night (inadvertently) as I’m still figuring out the nuances of mealtime insulin.

You have just read another chapter of Marcy’s Adventures in Diabetesland.

Sam is on his way to pick up an early lunch — glorioski! GRILLED HOT DOGS! — from Five Guys. Since it’s another cold and overcast day here and I have zero motivation to leave the house, the rest of my Sunday projects and activities will include: 1) eating the aforementioned grilled hot dogs; 2) writing this Howdygram post; 3) baking a nice low-carb pound cake; and 4) I can’t think of anything else unless it involves emptying the dishwasher. (I hate emptying the dishwasher.)

Last night Sam and I watched a one-star 1950s horror dreckfest called Zombies of Mora-Tau starring a cast of unknowns with no visible talent whatsoever, such as Allison Hayes with her road-cone titties as a character named Mona Harrison, a crabby floozy who’s married to a con man hunting for sunken treasure. Her other claim to fame was 1957’s Attack of the 50-Foot Woman, in which a gigantic Allison roamed Las Vegas screeching “I want my husband Harry!”

But I digress. In Zombies of Mora-Tau you get a couple of con men, Allison Hayes, a scientist and a treasure diver arriving in Africa by boat to hunt for a chest full of diamonds buried in a sunken ship off the coast. Unfortunately the diamonds are being guarded by a dozen creepy zombies, who all happen to be the original sailors that went down with the ship 50 years earlier. Most of the action centers around a huge Long Island-style mansion near the shore that’s owned by an old lady with cheesy wrinkle makeup whose husband is one of the dead zombie sailors. Other residents include her sexpot granddaughter Jan with an endless supply of tight skirts and negligees and a Rolls Royce with a uniformed chauffeur that nobody ever explains. (This is supposed to be Africa, remember?)
I’m not sure why Zombies of Mora-Tau only qualified for one star. The acting sucked, to be sure, but the plot wasn’t really awful and the zombies were cool. I think cool zombies should count for something, don’t you? Thank you for reading this.

No comments: