Thursday, March 25, 2010

A day-long shopping marathon retrospective.

It all started with Target. Wednesday was a VERY GOOD DAY for shopping. It began first thing in the morning when all of a sudden I realized I could spend Sam’s $100 Target gift card (which he got for Christmas from a salesman at work) online and not actually have to go to the store. So I visited Target.com and blew it all on a bunch of great stuff that includes an Oxo can opener, Calphalon baking sheets, a Kitchen Aid food chopper, new measuring spoons, Olay Regenerist face cream and a couple of DVDs — Gigi and The Great Ziegfeld.
And if this wasn’t enough to make a person hyperventilate from excitement, immediately after spending Sam’s Target gift card he casually mentions that he’s been having trouble finding Clif bars in our local supermarkets. I think the basic problem is that Texans just don’t give a crap about anything that’s not deep-fried, and since we don’t have Trader Joe’s here and don’t live anywhere near a Whole Foods Market it’s really hard to find products that we used to buy all the time in California. So I searched online and found Healthy-Stand.com, where they sell discounted Clif Bars in boxes of 12 with no tax and cheap shipping. I bought four boxes in Sam’s favorite flavors. At this point we were VERY close to being delirious.
Every house should smell as good as mine. I also ordered some electric home fragrance refills on sale at YankeeCandle.com for those little hot oil doo-dads that you plug into an outlet. My all-time favorite scent is Midnight Jasmine and I’ve got one in every room except the kitchen. (I think a kitchen should smell more like roast chicken.)

And last but not least ... Rounding out my shopping marathon was an afternoon excursion to our local Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. This was a VERY BIG DEAL for me, guys, because I’m finally pain-free and feeling healthy again! Today was my first solo outing since the first of the year, and I EVEN DROVE MY OWN CAR. I bought all kinds of fun things like volumizing hair mousse, sugar-free chocolate, two kinds of cheese, toilet paper, bagels, a couple of extremely expensive tomatoes and two-liter bottles of Coke Zero on sale for 75¢.

Thursday, God willing, I’m heading to Costco. Be still my heart.

No comments: