Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pain, suffering and accidental olives.

I had a podiatrist appointment this morning. An early one, at 9 a.m. I usually don’t mind seeing my podiatrist because he’s a really nice guy with a nice office and equally nice nurses, and usually all they ever do is say hi and cut my toenails (I’m diabetic and can’t go to a regular nail salon). But this time I was scared to go. For the last three weeks I’ve had a grotesque and extremely painful situation with a bleeding right heel that I haven’t been able to deal with on my own. And as expected, today I wound up with minor surgery, a huge gauze bandage wrapped around my foot and night-time instructions that include using wads of medicated cream, plastic wrap and socks. Sam will be in charge of all foot maintenance activities because it’s hard for me to reach and I’m not very coordinated ... especially if plastic wrap is involved. (It’s usually hard enough just to maneuver the stuff around a mixing bowl.)

About those accidental olives. Due to some nasty weather this year (a foot of snow and two minor ice storms) and my ongoing crappy pain issues (arthritis, plantar fasciitis, and now this bleeding heel thing) Sam has been doing most of our grocery shopping on his own except for one big trip to Costco on New Year’s Eve. I love his help. And it’s always a hoot to find out how he interprets my shopping list. Last week, for instance, I requested “stuffed green olives” but forgot to mention WHAT THEY SHOULD BE STUFFED WITH. The only kind I’ve ever eaten are the ones with little red hunks of pimento inside, and of course I figured Sam was clairvoyant enough to know that. Well guess what: he brought home a very large, very expensive jar of Mezzetta’s green olives stuffed with jalapeño peppers. And to my surprise, they’re absolutely FANTASTIC. I got so damn excited I visited Mezzetta’s website, where I found out these people stuff their green olives with EVERYTHING, including garlic, bleu cheese, feta, anchovies and prunes! (Just kidding about the prunes.) I’m going to eat some jalapeño-stuffed olives with dinner tonight and prop up my sore foot on a big pillow. I take my little luxuries wherever I can find them. Thank you for reading this.

No comments: