Saturday, March 27, 2010

What do your memories sound like?

Studies show that certain scents and fragrances can evoke explicit memories. I guess that’s true ... the smell of a great pizza always makes me want Alberti’s from downtown Skokie ... 50 years ago. But for me, my favorite memories spring from SOUNDS more than scents, and I’ve definitely got a couple of favorites.

Let’s hear it for the boys of summer. No, not the Chicago Cubs ... I’m talking about LANDSCAPERS. I’m crazy about the sound of lawn mowers! It takes me back to my childhood, summer afternoons, no school, happy weather, playing outside on fresh-cut grass. Our landscaping crew showed up yesterday morning for the first time since last October, and I always want more when they finish in less than 20 minutes. Maybe someone can burn a CD of mowing noises for me.

The plane truth. I absolutely LOVE the sound of a small propeller airplane. I’m transported back in time to 1955, being four years old at Greenleaf Beach in Chicago, playing in the sand on a hot summer day with mom and Robin, eating a vanilla Dixie Cup with the goofy wooden spatula/spoon that came glued to the lid ... and if you squinted up at the sun there was always a little plane overhead dragging a banner advertisement back and forth. To this day, any time I hear a small plane I can smell the water and suntan lotion. It’s hypnotic. It’s even better than lawn mowers.

Somebody send me a pizza from Alberti’s and life will be complete. Thank you for reading this.

No comments: