Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mystery solved.

The good news is, I don’t have peripheral neuropathy, Raynaud’s Phenomenon, De Quervain’s Disease or multiple sclerosis. I’ve been diagnosed with CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME. Apparently I’ve got every classic symptom: my fingers go numb, I wake up at night with burning pain in my hand and arm, I have trouble gripping objects, and I’m generally crabby and anxious to strangle somebody. So my doctor prescribed a steroid to reduce the nerve inflammation and a strong painkiller (Vicodin) that I probably won’t take because it makes me feel like I’ve had a frontal lobotomy. I’m also wearing a steel wrist brace, need to buy an ergonomic mouse pad for my computer and have a list of stretching exercises to try.

Dr. Meyrat didn’t recommend Chinese food as a possible treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome, but since Sam won’t be able to pick up my prescriptions until he gets home from work at 10 p.m. I’ve decided to self-medicate in the meantime with Mu Shu Shrimp and Hot & Sour soup. Thank you, and pass the soy sauce.

No comments: