Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Double your pleasure, double your fun ...

So here’s what’s going on at Club Meds for your possible interest. Yesterday morning I started injecting a double dose of Byetta two times a day, which is not a barrel of laughs because I definitely had a misconception about how I was going to accomplish this. With the Byetta pen you have to set up each dose by screwing on a new needle and then dialing a knob at the other end. I figured I’d inject the first dose, leave the needle inserted in my skin, dial another dose and push the button a second time. This turned out to be weird as hell, not very comfortable and generally stupid. So now I have to actually do two separate injections before breakfast and two separate injections before dinner. At this rate I’ll be a pin cushion by Labor Day.

For the curiosity-seekers among you, there’s a truly boring video on Byetta’s website. Click here and then choose “View Video Demonstration.”
If all this hoo-hah can actually reduce my blood sugar I’ll ask Dr. M on Monday to prescribe a new Byetta pen at the higher dose. Stay tuned.

Incidentally, just in case you assumed our weather must be improving because I haven’t been whining about the heat, you’re WRONG. Even though we missed breaking our all-time record for consecutive days with triple-digit temperatures, it was only ONE DAY that didn’t hit 100°. The next day the temperature jumped right back into triple-digit territory and hasn’t budged. At the moment it’s 105° outside and our five-day forecast appears below. There is still no chance of rain.
Obviously, when it’s this hot you don’t feel like doing ANYTHING. I’ve had a Costco shopping list on the kitchen counter for almost two weeks but can’t get motivated because everything you buy at Costco weighs a ton and you could die of heat stroke carrying it into the house — particularly if you’re buying pasta sauce, which consists of three enormous glass jars harnessed together like they’re being launched into outer space.

Maybe Sam and I will attempt a Costco junket on Saturday morning. We usually try to get there when they open the doors at 10 and the store is populated with cheerful senior citizens buying discounted crates of Depends.

Today is Humphrey Bogart Day on Turner Classic Movies and I hope you’ll tune in tonight to watch a few of my favorite Bogey films — In a Lonely Place, The Maltese Falcon and The Caine Mutiny. Actually, In a Lonely Place starts in about 15 minutes so I’ll have to finish writing this post as soon as possible.

Under the circumstances, shalom, y’all, and have a nice day!

No comments: