Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Strategies for surviving a heat wave.

As I mentioned in my last post, the only way to survive this three-month north Texas blast furnace (i.e., summer) is to sit under a ceiling fan eating sugar-free Popsicles. Unfortunately a person can get really sick of eating these, not to mention there’s also zero nutrition and a high risk of irreversible brain freeze. For a nice change of pace I’d LOVE to get dinner tonight from Slab’s, a terrific little dive for takeout barbecue that’s less than five minutes from home, but it’s TOO DAMN HOT TO GO OUTSIDE and Slab’s doesn’t deliver. This is a crushing disappointment. And I’m running out of Popsicles.
Incidentally, I just realized that I haven’t reviewed any Schwan’s products for quite a while, so here’s your fix.
The Shepherd’s Pie isn’t bad. The flavor’s okay, the portion size can feed two average adults (or a couple of picky eaters and an irritating child) and it’s an easy meal that bakes in 55 minutes. My only complaint is the PRICE. Our local Tom Thumb supermarket sells a nearly identical private-label frozen Shepherd’s Pie for $4.99. Schwan’s charges $10.98.

The Italian Melt Sandwich is a better value. You get two really big oblong focaccias covered with cheesy goo and toppings. The instructions say you’re supposed to bake them side-by-side and then slap them together and whack the thing into sections like a big gigantic sandwich (see photo), but Sam and I think the crust gets too crunchy to eat it that way so we just keep the two halves separate and enjoy it like a flatbread pizza. This is VERY GOOD STUFF and the sauce has a surprise kick to it. A person should always be prepared for a surprise kick.

Sam just called. He’ll be late coming home from work again tonight, which means I can finish watching a truly stupid Betty Grable movie (see below) that I recorded this morning — The Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend — and maybe get started on one of my new Flash Gordon DVDs.
Thanks a million for stopping by. I can’t wait for fall.

No comments: