Sunday, July 7, 2013

If you have to sleep through a movie, “Marnie” is actually a pretty good choice.

Hi. It’s me, Marcy. I’m here in the study horsing around with the Howdygram and Sam is in the family room sleeping through Marnie (1964) starring Tippi Hedren and Sean Connery. If you have to sleep through a movie, Marnie is actually a pretty good choice. Also Murder at the Gallop (1963) starring Margaret Rutherford, which is even better.

Earlier this evening Sam and I watched The Devil-Doll (1936), a nutjob of a horror story featuring Lionel Barrymore as an escaped convict from Devil’s Island trying to get revenge on the three men who framed him for murder, so he comes back to Paris — IN DRAG — to torment them. Others in the cast include Rafaela Ottiano as the deranged widow of a deranged scientist whose specialty is shrinking people into homicidal toys (I wouldn’t joke about this) and Maureen O’Sullivan as Lionel’s long-suffering daughter. The deranged widow helps Lionel murder two of the men who framed him with teeny toy daggers dipped in poison; the third confesses when he realizes he’ll be next. The story is technically not too bad if you can get beyond Barrymore dressed like Granny Clampett.
Humor me for a minute while I blab about my Sunday lunch, okay? I defrosted a nice box of Schwan’s pulled pork, which was a first for me. As a diabetic I always keep an eye out for high-protein meal options with no carbs, so this one was right up my alley. Schwan’s had their pulled pork on sale a few weeks ago so I decided to give it a shot. You get 1½ pounds of fully-cooked, shredded, lean seasoned pork that heats up in the microwave in less than four minutes. This stuff was so good I couldn’t believe it. Moist, tender, tasty crapola with so much flavor you probably won’t even need barbecue sauce unless your taste buds are anemic (like mine). There’s plenty leftover for tomorrow but I’m not inviting company. Maybe next time.
There’s nothing whatsoever on our calendar this week, although tomorrow I’ve got a couple of important phone calls on my “do” list. Call number one is Blue Cross to find out if they cover acupuncture treatments, and call number two is Phillips Norelco to find out how we can get Sam’s broken rechargeable razor repaired. After that, the rest of my week’s activities will include naps, food, insulin injections and Howdygram posts, but not necessarily in that order.

Thank you for reading this.

No comments: