Monday, August 5, 2013

Epic lows, two days in a row. Holy crap.

Here we go again, people. Yesterday I had a hypoglycemic “episode” following a very nice mid-day nap that resulted in a scary blood sugar low of 45. I actually felt perfectly good until, you know, I suddenly didn’t, and started shaking, slurring my words like a drunk and craving chocolate. I snapped out of it with four emergency chewable glucose thingies and a piece of pizza. Okay, two pieces of pizza.

Unfortunately, I just had another episode, and this one was even scarier. Once again it comes right after my mid-day nap and once again my blood sugar reading is 45. Except this time I don’t get the shakes, I don’t act like I’m drunk and I don’t crave chocolate ... I just meander into the study, open some email and sit here thinking this is really cool, my knees don’t hurt today. I finally decide to test my blood sugar when I start pondering dinner — meatloaf? pickles & biscuits? gefilte fish? — and how much mealtime insulin I’ll need for an injectable hors d’oeuvre.

The point is, I have to be more diligent about self-inflicted hypoglycemia crap by learning to inject less insulin at lunch-time. I get carried away. I’m one of those compulsive types that firmly believes “more is better,” but I guess that’s only true at a Chinese buffet. Holy crap.

Tonight’s big dinner decision: HOMEMADE MEATLOAF. I buy an amazing low-carb meatloaf mix online from Netrition that you blend with 1½ cups of water, two pounds of ground beef and two jumbo eggs. For a little extra hoo-hah I also throw in a package of Lipton onion soup mix and ¼ cup of Guy’s sugar-free barbecue sauce. This stuff is terrific, people.
In case you’re interested, it’s already in the oven with 20 minutes left on the timer, which means you’d better haul ass if you’re coming for dinner tonight. Also on the menu are green olives and low-carb buttered toast with chia seed pudding for dessert.

My final contribution today is this adorable cat video. Apparently the feline in question is familiar with whatever is on TV because she knows exactly when to lunge for the bird on the screen. I love this.


Thank you very much and have a pleasant evening.

No comments: