Saturday, August 10, 2013

I am so ready to retire I can taste it.

I hate my clients. If this sounds evil and ungrateful you’d better get over it, because I’m sick of their petty issues, bogus emergencies, stupid requests, general confusion and email accounts that stop working. Hey, Einstein, here’s a wild guess ... maybe because you haven’t deleted any email since 2003 and Outlook had a brain hemhorrage?

I am so ready to retire I can taste it.

And now ... here’s what’s coming up next week on TCM’s Summer Under the Stars festival.
  • CATHERINE DENEUVE, 8/12. If you enjoy French films with subtitles, this is your lucky day. Me, not so much. I have no favorite Catherine Deneuve movies because I can’t understand what she’s talking about.
  • MICKEY ROONEY, 8/13. TCM is showing a lot of my Mickey Rooney favorites today. The best of them are A Family Affair (1936), the original Andy Hardy “pilot” co-starring Lionel Barrymore and Spring Byington; Boys Town (1938) with Spencer Tracy; and Strike Up the Band (1940) with Judy Garland.
  • BETTE DAVIS, 8/14. Don’t miss Jezebel (1938) with Henry Fonda and George Brent; The Letter (1940) with Herbert Marshall; Now, Voyager (1942) with Paul Henreid; Dark Victory (1939) with George Brent and Humphrey Bogart; and The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942) with Monty Woolley and Ann Sheridan.
  • GREGORY PECK, 8/15. Be sure to see Designing Woman (1957) with Lauren Bacall and The Guns of Navarone (1961) with David Niven and Anthony Quinn. For some reason TCM isn’t showing my two favorite Gregory Peck movies this time — Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn and Gentleman’s Agreement with Dorothy McGuire. I’m pissed, quite frankly, but I’m pretty sure nobody cares. Am I right?
  • ANN BLYTH, 8/16. Like boring operettas with excellent costumes? Ann Blyth made a pile of them, and today’s the day to see them all on TCM, including: Kismet (1955); The Student Prince (1954); and Rose Marie (1954). Personally, I think you should skip the all the stupid singing and just watch Mildred Pierce (1945) with Joan Crawford. Trust me, Mildred Pierce is NOT a musical. (Not even close.)
I’ve got insomnia tonight. I’m guessing it’s because I took a three-hour nap yesterday afternoon and screwed up my sleep schedule. Fortunately, I think I’m finally ready to go to bed following a quick shlep into the kitchen for chocolate soy milk. Thank you for reading this.

No comments: