Sunday, January 20, 2013

Coca-Cola. Still only 140 calories.

Please, people. Next time I announce I want a new comforter for our bed I hope somebody whacks me in the head with a concrete pillow sham. I’M SICK TO DEATH OF THESE STUPID THINGS for the following reasons: 1) they’re too heavy; 2) I can’t sleep; 3) they make me sweat; and 4) they get wrinkled and look like crap. The comforter I ordered from Wal-Mart a couple of months ago (see image below) was gorgeous on their website and a pruny mess on our bed, and I don’t think I’ve had a decent night’s sleep since I bought the damn thing. Therefore about 15 minutes ago Sam and I yanked it off the bed and replaced it with our favorite un-wrinkled all-weather quilt!
In other news, Sam and I had a fun and memorable Sunday. The weather today was unusually balmy and spring-like for January, so after we picked up one of our vehicles from Pep Boys we drove to CafĂ© Greek for their excellent buffet lunch, where I watched Sam consume more food than he usually eats in a week. I’m talking about SEVEN PLATES, not including six pieces of galaktoboureko pastry for dessert. A slice of galaktoboureko agreed to pose for us this afternoon and appears below for your possible interest.
And now some news from our Who The Hell Are They Kidding department, where it seems that one of the world’s most successful and iconic companies has launched a baffling marketing campaign. I refer to Coca-Cola and their stupid new “healthy lifestyle” ads. We zipped past a billboard today on I-30 that announced in ten-foot-high type: “COCA-COLA. STILL ONLY 140 CALORIES.”
Seriously, WTF does a person do with meaningless data like this? Are we supposed to get excited that a 12-ounce can of Coke “only” contains 140 calories of high fructose corn syrup ... especially when most people are slugging down 64-ounce Big Gulps from 7-Eleven? For the record, that 64-ounce tub of carbonated syrup contains 750 calories, and that’s not counting the sack of Cheetos and king-size Reese’s peanut butter cups you buy to go with it!

As I write this post Sam is multitasking in the family room, watching Okahoma! starring Shirley Jones and Gordon MacRae and concurrently rolling four coffee cans full of pocket change. He says he’s averaging $100 per can. Not bad! WE’RE RICH!
And now it’s time for a shower, lots of food and a couple of nice Danny Kaye movies. Thank you for reading this.

No comments: