Monday, January 14, 2013

I don’t know what I’d do without Meat Loaf Night.

I decided not to write any Howdygram posts over the weekend because, quite frankly, I just didn’t feel up to it. Winter weather makes my bones ache — even when it’s a “Texas winter” at 45° — so I spent most of Saturday and Sunday involved in the following important activities: 1) eating; 2) sleeping; 3) finishing my Ovation Creative website project; 4) trying to relabel 24 spice jars; and 5) watching movies. Item one included a Sunday morning excursion to Hong Kong Royal for dim sum and item five featured The Little Foxes (1941) starring Bette Davis and Herbert Marshall and The Great Race (1965), a personal favorite, starring Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon and Natalie Wood. This is probably the funniest epic comedy ever made with the best pie fight EVER.
To round out a busy weekend, Saturday night was also Meat Loaf Night. I don’t know what I’d do without Meat Loaf Night.

In addition, Sam and I enjoyed a string of surprisingly entertaining fast-talking 1930s B-movies with veteran actor Lee Tracy. The best of the litter was Crashing Hollywood, a screwball comedy about a screenwriter who teams up with a pair of ex-cons to write realistic crime dramas. Although Tracy’s best (and most iconic) role was probably the part of Jean Harlow’s publicist in Bombshell, I think Crashing Hollywood is a close second.

Drum roll, people! I’m pleased to announce that I finally finished redesigning my Ovation Creative website! (Click here to take a look.) I was motivated primarily by a project request on Friday from a client in Colorado who wants me to revamp her photography website and produce a new collection of printed marketing materials in time for a gallery show in mid-February. I figured I’d better wrap up my own personal baloney so I can earn some money. Money is good.

Here, for your possible interest, is a recent portrait of Wayne Newton, whose new part-time gig in Las Vegas involves haunting houses. Oy, Wayne, what the hell did you do to yourself?
And finally, an exciting and affordable new gift idea for those hard-to-shop-for friends, realtives and co-workers! I thought Mr. T’s 15 minutes of fame was finished in the mid-1980s but apparently he still finds marketing Einsteins willing to work overtime on weird horseshit like this. You can buy yours here.
Now it’s time for my Monday afternoon projects, listed for you here in no particular order whatsoever. They are: 1) a nice nap; and 2) folding kitchen towels; and 3) baking a low-carb cheesecake. It’s a full life, isn’t it?

No comments: