Friday, January 18, 2013

The spice of life, revisited.

Let’s talk about spice racks for a minute, shall we? I just spent part of the evening relabeling all my little glass jars of spices and arranging them in no particular order on a nifty three-tier shelf unit that arrived yesterday from Amazon. This replaces the annoying metal racks that actually came with the jars when I bought them back in October, an attractive product from MySpiceSage.com with a shitty design because you couldn’t see the labels on the jars unless you had your chin on the counter or yanked each jar out of the rack one at a time to take a look at the contents. After engaging in this meaningless activity two or three times you’d rather drop a hammer on your foot.
Before ordering the aforementioned nifty three-tier shelf unit, however, I took a stab at labeling the lids of the jars so I could identify the contents without actually investing any additional significant dough. This turned out to be a major life event. I ordered one-inch round silver foil inkjet labels, but after wasting several dollars at OnlineLabels.com and half a day of my life I discovered the lids aren’t suitable for labeling because they’re DOMED, and round labels end up puckering around the edges like teeny little pie crusts. AND THE DAMN INK RUBS OFF.

Moving on to Plan B, I bought the shelf unit from Amazon ($16.99) and went back to OnlineLabels.com for a few sheets of rectangular clear matte inkjet labels and white glossy waterproof. As you can see from the photo above, the white waterproof labels were definitely the way to go. I can read them from a distance and they won’t smear if my hands are wet or I decide to shake a little parsley into a nice, steamy vat of Stupid Soup. This is a win-win for everybody! (Well, actually, just for me. I’m positive that Sam doesn’t give a crap.)

Speaking of Sam ... he’ll be home from work any minute now so I’ll wrap up this post and wish all of you a happy and healthy Friday night. I think I have a craving for French fries.

No comments: