Friday, January 18, 2013

It’s Pete Rose, posing for a Jockey underwear ad.

I can’t sleep, and it sucks. My hands and feet are burning (I really, really hate diabetes) so around midnight I finally decided just to get the hell out of bed and stop annoying Sam. For the past several hours I’ve been downloading fonts, researching low-carb dessert recipes, enjoying a nice tall Marcytini and trying to remember everything I want Sam to buy at Wal-Mart this morning. Cream cheese for sure and probably sugar-free Cool Whip.

The aforementioned free fonts appear below for your possible interest.
We watched a surprisingly excellent British “heist” film yesterday on TCM … The League of Gentlemen (1960) with a first-rate cast that included Richard Attenborough, Roger Livesey (my personal favorite) and Jack Hawkins, one year after he was Quintus Arrius in Ben-Hur. Here’s a shot of the entire cast; that’s Jack Hawkins, inset.
So here’s a quick rundown on the plot. Jack Hawkins is a disgruntled career Army officer facing forced retirement. He decides to get even with the government by rounding up seven other men who were booted from the service for various embarrassing reasons and coercing them into a complex bank robbery scheme that takes advantage of their military skills, such as blowing things up, stealing gas masks and driving a getaway car. Actually, the story is like an early version of The Dirty Dozen except everybody’s wearing a tie. Sam and I thought this was fine entertainment with a damn good ending.

I’ve got a treat for you. It’s Pete Rose, hairy and out of shape circa 1970, posing for a Jockey underwear ad. Holy crap, check out that haircut. He looks like Moe!
 I have to try going back to bed now. Thank you for reading this.

No comments: