Monday, January 7, 2013

Today’s menu includes hot wads of dough with butter.

Good morning, people! I just canceled my 10 a.m. haircut appointment for a couple of solid reasons: 1) it’s too cold outside; and 2) I don’t feel like wearing a brassiere. I didn’t bother to reschedule because the weather probably won’t warm up around here for at least another month. In the meantime I might have to cut my own bangs with a cuticle scissors. Stop laughing.

Here’s some breaking news from the Howdygram Test Kitchens … I made my first-ever batch of CarbQuik ONE-STEP BISCUITS last night! This was as easy as I’d hoped and they turned out just great even though I had to improvise a little because I don’t own a KitchenAid stand mixer with expensive attachments. So I dumped the water and CarbQuick into my bread machine instead, and 90 seconds later I had PERFECT BISCUIT DOUGH.

Here’s the recipe in case you’re interested. You need 2 cups of CarbQuik baking mix (it’s a low-carb knockoff of Bisquick) and ⅔ cup of water. Blend it into a nice soft ball of dough, drop the dough by spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 12 or 13 minutes in a preheated 350° oven. They should turn out exactly like the picture below, although yours might look slightly different if you don’t own yellow plates. This recipe makes eight big biscuits with only 1.5 carbs each.
It’s my plan to make another batch today except this time with ¼ cup of shredded cheddar cheese added to the dough recipe and maybe a pinch of onion salt.

In case you’re wondering why I’m making such a gigantic hoo-hah about this, it’s because I have diabetes and haven’t been able to enjoy hot wads of dough with butter for years without getting into a panic about my blood sugar numbers. Holy crap. THIS IS HEAVEN. If I had a full-time job I would call in sick right now with a fake sore throat and spend the whole damn day eating biscuits in the family room! (If you think I’m kidding, you don’t know me very well.)

Thank you for reading this. Seriously.

No comments: