Monday, January 21, 2013

Neanderthals are alive and well in the Lone Star State.

What a day I’ve had! In addition to completing most of the activities outlined in my previous post — filling my new canisters and making tacos for lunch — I also found time to: 1) watch four hours of the inaugural parade and accompanying CNN commentary while I finished rolling a couple hundred dollars’ worth of Sam’s loose pocket change; 2) eat dinner; 3) clean out the pantry; and 4) I can’t think of anything else. Trust me, numbers 1 and 3 were monumental accomplishments. Especially number 3. The pantry is so damn gorgeous right now that I’ll bet Sam won’t recognize it when he gets home tonight. THIS IS THE PROUDEST MOMENT OF MY ENTIRE LIFE! (I might be exaggerating a little.)

For the record, my pillow sham activities have been rescheduled for tomorrow. A girl can only tackle so many projects in one day before her brain explodes.

My niece Allison sent some pictures tonight from my mom’s 90th birthday party in November. I thought I’d include a couple of them here because I think mom looks amazing. She’s in a nursing home and confined to a wheelchair, but she still gets her hair and nails done every week and wouldn’t think about leaving her room without lipstick. Holy crap.
I just read an article that Harvard geneticist George Church thinks it’s possible to reverse-engineer the Neanderthal genome and pass their long-extinct advantages to our own offspring. He says all that’s needed is an “extremely adventurous female human” to be a surrogate mother. When Church was asked by the German magazine Der Spiegel if a Neanderthal baby could be born in his lifetime, Church, who is 58, replied, “That depends on a hell of a lot of things, but I think so.”

Somebody should introduce Church to Rick Perry, pictured above in full dress makeup for another anti-abortion speech to the Texas legislature. Neanderthals already lead productive lives here in the Lone Star State!

I’m too pooped to write a complex post so I’ll simply close with a photo from President Obama’s inauguration earlier today along with a big fat MAZEL TOV to our cute first family from Howdygram headquarters.
Thank you for reading this.

No comments: