Thursday, July 19, 2012

Another scumbag for reality television.

I’m sitting here in the middle of the night trying to deal with a lousy flare-up of diabetic neuropathy. My current symptoms include sharp stabbing pains in my feet and hands, both of which make it almost impossible to fall asleep. I just read an article at the U.S. National Library of Medicine’s website that says neuropathy can take many different forms, and — lucky me — I get practically ALL of them at various times, including heartburn, nausea, difficulting swallowing, dizziness when I stand up, bladder problems, numbness in my fingers (I can’t feel hot or cold) and changes in the texture of my skin. As I mentioned to Sam a couple of days ago, if I’d known diabetes was such a pain in the ass I would have signed up for a different disease. Holy crap.

As soon as my hands and feet calm down I’ll try to go back to bed. Mongolian chicken might help me feel better but I don’t have any.

The Learning Channel is producing a train wreck new reality series that follows the everyday meaningless activities of creep-of-the-century Pete Rose, now 71 years old, and his triple-D fiancée Kiana Kim, a former Playboy model, who’s 30 years his junior with a bunch of young children.
Rose, you may recall, was permanently banned from baseball in 1989 for betting on games (and against his own team) while managing the Cincinnati Reds. The following year he pleaded guilty to two counts of tax fraud and served five months in a Federal prison. I can’t imagine why anybody would waste their time producing or watching a TV series about this slimeball’s life. Initial episodes will include Kiana getting additional breast surgery — her goal must be honeydew melons — and Pete’s ongoing campaign to weasle himself back into baseball. Personally, I’d rather have all my teeth extracted.

And now I think I’ll go back to bed and attempt to get some sleep. It was nice of you to stop by, and I mean this sincerely. Shalom.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Nice to see you are using the National Library of Medicine to get your medical information... we medical librarians like to see that!!

Marcy Marks said...

Good morning, Lisa, and thank you for your comment. I love the National Library of Medicine. At times it’s even better than gefilte fish.

Scott K. Johnson said...

Hey Marcy,

Nice to meet you. What is your story with diabetes? I have lived with type 1 for a while now, and spend a lot of my time connecting with others also living with diabetes. Do you live with type 1 or type 2?

Marcy Marks said...

Hi Scott. Thanks for your comment! I’ve got type 2. I was diagnosed about four years ago and everything went kablooey almost from the get-go. My first round of meds almost killed me (there’s a class action lawsuit against one drug, Actos, which has been proven to cause bladder cancer), I gained 100 pounds in six months and developed half a dozen different forms of neuropathy, including plantar fasciitis and carpal tunnel in both hands. The meds I take to control it (neuropathy) do an OK job but not great. Where insulin is concerned, I’ve been injecting Lantus once a day since May. My a.m. glucose count is perfect; after meals not so much. Like I mentioned in a recent Howdygram post, if I’d known diabetes was such a pain in the ass I would’ve signed up for something else. Out of curiosity … was this your first visit to my blog?

Scott K. Johnson said...

I'm sorry to hear that it's been such a rough ride. Diabetes is nothing nice, that's for sure.

Yes, this is the first time visiting your blog. I found the post through some "social media listening" tools for some part-time work I do with a company that focuses on diabetic peripheral neuropathy.

I've been blogging about my life with diabetes for a while too, and I think it provides a great outlet to help with all of the emotional aspects that are too often ignored.

I love bumping into people who are blogging that I didn't know about before. The thing is, these days, there are SO many great bloggers that it is hard to keep up with everyone.

Marcy Marks said...

I just spent some time checking out your blog, Scott, and it’s really impressive. I can’t wait to explore some of your links for additional information. I definitely need support because I’ve had such a hard time breaking my addiction to carbs. (Translation: pass the chips.)

Scott K. Johnson said...

Haha! You won't find any tips on breaking carb addiction there! I'm struggling with that too! Carboholics anonymous unite!