Sunday, July 29, 2012

More Olympic fashions, a scratching post for humans and a diabetes breakthrough.

Before I start blabbering about Friday’s opening ceremonies in London I need to scream GLORIOSKI and HALLELUJAH, because I finally found somebody who sells scratching posts for people! You can buy them at BackscratcherWorld.com (click here) with all necessary mounting hardware on sale for only $19.95. I’m so excited I almost can’t stand it. My back itches about 90% of the time and it sure would be wonderful to give Sam a break once in a while even though he never complains. (I’m married to a swell guy.)
Speaking of Sam, at the moment he’s on his way to Tom Thumb for a carload of grocery essentials that includes: 1) a bunch of pepper jack cheese; 2) three boxes of Streit’s potato pancake mix; and 3) I can’t remember what else is on his list. Maybe a honeydew melon. I think I also told him to pick up some cole slaw. It’s hell getting old.

At last, it’s time for Howdygram’s fashion review of the London opening ceremonies a couple of days ago. It was my original plan to write this post yesterday but I got caught up watching the actual Olympics instead. I even watched three sets of women’s beach volleyball, and I hate women’s beach volleyball.

The first four featured nations appear below. Togo’s athletes, much like Spain’s (see previous post), got all dressed up to work at a food court. Syria sent a team of middle-aged businessmen. I’m not sure where Lesotho is — somewhere in the middle of South Africa, I think — but their athletes marched into the arena carrying garment bags with striped dunce caps on their heads. The crew from American Samoa dressed up in hospital scrubs and, in case you didn’t notice, the men are wearing SKIRTS.
Pictured below, athletes from the Czech Republic wore blue rubber rain boots with matching umbrellas. I don’t exactly understand the rest of their get-up, either. Are the women really wearing blazers over short white dresses with knee-length print underpants? Winning our award for Strangest Hats is the slightly cartoonish contigent from Kyrgyzstan. As for the athletes from Malaysia, they simply scared the crap out of me.
Now for our final group of three. I can’t quite explain why, but I loved the outfits from Nigeria, especially those green satin head things! San Marino’s fashions were created by Italian designer Salvatore Ferragamo. I guess if you’re only sending four athletes to the Games you can afford to dress them in cashmere with $1,800 handbags. And matching shoes. Holy crap. And finally, Liberia sent the most patriotic athletes on earth and literally wrapped them in plastic shower curtains that looked like their national flag. Way to go, Liberia!
In other news, I made an interesting discovery today related to my diabetes. I discovered that my fasting blood sugar count in the morning is incredibly lower after a really good night’s sleep. Two nights in a row last week I barely managed four hours of sleep and wound up with elevated blood sugar numbers in the morning (138 and 152). Today my count was perfect (90) after sleeping eight hours. I’m not exactly sure how to process this information so I’ll mention it to Dr. M when I see her in August. Maybe she’ll suggest a SLEEP AID! (The only thing better would be Mongolian chicken or frosted cake.)

Thank you for reading this.

No comments: