Thursday, December 22, 2011

There’s no place like home … especially for groceries.

Oy, what a day trying to get to Tom Thumb for groceries! I was feeling perky this morning and decided to shop at the Tom Thumb at Preston Road and Forest Lane in Dallas, the store with the fancy-shmancy kosher market inside (see below). Huge mistake. Not only didn’t I find a handicapped parking spot, I didn’t find any parking spots at all. The lot was so clogged it looked more like Cowboys Stadium during the Super Bowl, with oversized SUVs (mostly Escalades) idling in the aisles waiting for somebody — anybody — to pull out of a space. After several minutes of this pointless crapola I got the hell out of there, drove all the way back to Mesquite and shopped at the Kroger that’s two minutes from home. Maybe even less than two minutes from home.
For your possible interest, the following map indicates: A) Howdygram headquarters in Mesquite; and B) Tom Thumb at Preston and Forest in Dallas. It’s a 16-mile drive and not the smartest decision I’ve ever made.
Before I forget, there’s another string of back-to-back William Powell movies tonight on TCM. This time they’re showing all six of his legendary Thin Man films with Myrna Loy starting at 7 p.m. Central time. You’re welcome to come over and watch at my house but you’ll have to bring your own popcorn (I don’t have any) and help me fold socks. I’m a multi-tasker.

And speaking of legendary ... I thought I’d include this must-see video clip of Bob Hope (as Eddie Foy) and James Cagney (as George M. Cohan) dancing in 1955’s The Seven Little Foys. It’s an adorable performance, especially when you consider this was the only time Hope and Cagney appeared together on film and both men were already more than 55 years old. (Until I watched this movie a few weeks ago I don’t think I ever realized Bob Hope was such a good dancer.)



I’m having lemon mousse and leftover egg foo young for dinner tonight but not necessarily in that order. If you’re hungry send me an email and I’ll save you some. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: