Sunday, May 13, 2012

Gefilte fish, frosted cake and Irene Dunne. Happy Mother’s Day.

To all you moms out there I’d like to to extend the Howdygram’s sincere wish for a Really Happy Mother’s Day. I hope somebody else scrambled your eggs this morning and didn’t leave any dishes in the sink.
I sent my mom flowers this year, a tremendous Mother’s Day bouquet from Costco that must have been extraordinary because she raved about it at least three times when we talked. (Hot tip: Bookmark the floral department at Costco.com.) Mom lives in a nursing facility in suburban Chicago. That’s her (see right) in a photo taken last fall; she’ll be 90 in November. Personally, I find it inspirational that she gets her hair done every week and still wears makeup.

I’m thinking maybe she has a secret boyfriend.

In case you’ve been following Marcy’s Adventures in Diabetesland I’d like to report that INSULIN IS FINALLY WORKING and my blood sugar numbers have plummeted substantially! For the last three mornings my fasting blood glucose has been NORMAL ... 116, 109 and 114. (Compare this to a couple of weeks ago when my morning average was around 275.) I’m actually excited enough to bake myself a cake!* Please send an email if you’d like to come over later to share it with me. I’m also serving gefilte fish and we can watch I Remember Mama starring Irene Dunne on TCM. Thank you for reading this.

*Relax. It’s a Pillsbury sugar-free yellow cake mix with sugar-free chocolate frosting.

No comments: