Monday, November 7, 2011

The best movies for naptime.

Okay, so sue me. The National Weather Service finally got one right and maybe they’re not a bunch of pathological liars after all. A big pile of thunderstorms (see map) started rolling through here about 30 minutes ago, there’s a tornado watch until midnight, and then we’ll start all over again with another round of storms and warnings around 4 a.m. The bright red star on the map indicates Howdygram headquarters in Mesquite. (You can’t see me because I don’t usually stand outside in the rain … not even for YOU.)
I don’t think I’ve ever told you about the three “nap movies” stored on my DVR. I highly recommend the following three titles …
  • Murder at the Gallop with Margaret Rutherford (1963)
  • The Kennel Murder Case with William Powell (1933)
  • The Penguin Pool Murder with Edna May Oliver (1932)
I play one of these films every time I lie down in the family room to guarantee I don’t have a weird dream or wake up hysterical with a nightmare. They’re all nice films with pleasant dialog, no screaming, no sirens, no machine guns, no insane asylums and no seriously annoying music such as Dick Powell singing “Honeymoon Hotel” in 1933’s Footlight Parade.

Another good one is The Courtship of Eddie’s Father with Glenn Ford EXCEPT for the scene where Eddie’s goldfish dies and he has a shrieking fit. I also strongly discourage sleeping through The Guns of Navarone or Ben Hur under any circumstances.

I think I’ll eat dinner now. Thank you for reading this.

No comments: