Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Milestones and scrambled eggs.

I can’t think of a graceful way to make this kind of announcement so I’ll just blurt it out … I AM 60 YEARS OLD TODAY.
Let’s be honest about this … even though I still look like a girl of 55, turning 60 is a very big hoo-hah that gets you lots of useful perks. These include 20% off my dinner bill at Denny’s, a free hearing test at the Dunford Senior Center and an invitation to be screened for strokes and artery disease in the recreation hall at Mesquite Baptist Church with free coffee. I also drive around with my own handicapped tag, strangers like to hold doors open for me, I get to threaten sales clerks with my cane for better service and lately it’s gratifying to discover that I’m the same age as Wal-Mart greeters.

And if all this isn’t enough … a couple of days ago I get a card from my dentist offering me a free teeth whitening kit for my birthday. (This would be a swell gift if I didn’t wear DENTURES.)

Later this morning Sam and I will celebrate at Denny’s with our favorite breakfast from their senior menu. We get the Senior Scrambled Eggs (seriously, that’s what it’s called) which comes with bacon, sausage, a nice stack of pancakes and they even have sugar-free syrup. This is an excellent deal for $5.50 and we highly recommend it.

We canceled our order for the new family room furniture we picked out in mid-September. Whenever we called Haverty’s to check the status they’d change their story. First everything was supposed to deliver by mid-October. Then it was the END of October. But when Sam called yesterday for an update they begin the conversation by apologizing that the truck won’t get here until a few days before Thanksgiving. That pretty much ended it.

The good news is, Macy’s is having a huge furniture sale so we’ll give them a shot on Saturday. Stay tuned for further details. Shalom, y’all.

No comments: