Saturday, November 12, 2011

Sam, the unexpected genius.

I just spent THREE HOURS trying to troubleshoot my crashed browser. I was working on a post when Firefox had a nervous breakdown and completely corrupted my screen … it got so bad I had to reboot my Mac with the emergency shut-down button. When the desktop relaunched everything seemed fine except for Firefox. All I’d see is a blank white window with a little spinning icon and the word “connecting.”

I trash Firefox altogether and download a fresh copy from their website. Doesn’t work. I repeat the process three more times and still no success. So I give up for a while and continue writing with the other two browsers on my computer … Google Chrome and Safari. Unfortunately, I hate Chrome because the font I use for the Howdygram looks squat and stupid, and I’m not crazy about Safari, either, for exactly the same reason.

I WANT MY FIREFOX BACK.

Finally I decide to try using Time Machine … an amazing Mac application that lets me restore anything on my computer going backwards in time. So I choose November 10 at 1 a.m., select Firefox, click “restore,” and holy crap … IT WORKED! Sam actually suggested that I try this last night when he got home from work and I pretty much ignored his idea until 15 minutes ago. Now I’m so damn excited I want to pole-vault into the bedroom with the big news but probably won’t because I’m not a total idiot. (Just a PARTIAL idiot.)

It’s 3 a.m. and I have to go to bed now and plant a juicy smooch on Sam’s adorable head. Thank you for reading this.

No comments: