Thursday, February 6, 2014

Dallas has no road salt, one sack of meaningless sand and three snowplows.

In this post: Canadian Mounties, frozen freeways, Costco deals, map pins.

I’ve got big news today, classic TV fans. The “Sergeant Preston of the Yukon” DVDs I ordered from Amazon finally arrived! IN A REAL COLLECTOR’S TIN! Holy crap, this thing is SO DAMN COOL. There are two boxed DVDs inside with five half-hour episodes on each. I thought I’d post a photo in the Howdygram but the flash was creating too much glare because the collector’s tin is actually made of GENUINE METAL — you know, as in very shiny — so I’ll just include a regular picture of Sergeant Preston instead. In case you have no idea what I’m talking about here, “Sergeant Preston of the Yukon” was a half-hour TV series that ran from 1955 to 1958. Was he adorable, or what? Thank you.

It’s almost 9 p.m. and I haven’t had dinner yet so I’d better type faster and post this crap before I starve to death.

In my earlier post today I mentioned it was snowing in Dallas. Even though our total accumulation was less than an inch (technically, almost NOTHING) take a look at what happened to our rush hour traffic:
Pictured above is the LBJ Freeway (Interstate 635) at 4:30 p.m., which turned into a sheet of ice and made everybody slam sideways into guard rails, trucks, cars, cops, grassy knolls and exit signs. Keep in mind that Dallas has no road salt, one sack of meaningless sand and three snowplows whose primary function is to clear the valet parking stands for snooty restaurants in Uptown. So basically ... when it snows, we’re screwed.

Hey. Check out what I just bought at Costco.com. I ordered a huge bottle of Vitamin D softgels because I’m old, anemic and decrepit, and at the last minute I decided to throw in a couple of nice new dress shirts for Sam. Costco’s dress shirts are SWELL, people. Only $17.99 in a million different sizes and they’re very well made. (Don’t tell Sam, okay? I want to surprise him.)
And finally, I thought you might get a kick out of the following very impressive world map of Howdygram visitors during the last 24 hours. Many of those little red map pins represent visitors who come back regularly because they love me. Either that, or they have absolutely nothing else to do.
Thank you for being one of my little red map pins. I mean this sincerely.

No comments: