Monday, February 17, 2014

Maybe I’ll buy things on Amazon until I’m ready to go back to bed.

In this post: Diabetes.

I woke up at 3 a.m. for a senior citizen bathroom break and decided to check my blood sugar because I have diabetes, so why the hell not. My reading was 75. I’m getting used to the pattern by now and decided to stay awake for a little while because it will probably just continue dropping and send me into another hypoglycemic episode. Sure enough ... I just checked again (an hour later) and my blood sugar is already down to 66. The same thing happened yesterday morning, too. My blood sugar was 80 when I woke up (which was fine) but had dropped to 62 two hours later (NOT fine). I’ve been reducing my nightly dose of Lantus (long-acting insulin) but so far I’m still having lows multiple times a day.

For the record, normal blood sugar is between 75 and 120, although some charts go as low as 70. You start to feel crappy when it’s around 65.

None of this solves my current dilemma, however, because it’s 4:15 in the morning, my blood sugar is dropping like a stone and I can’t do anything to stop it aside from shoveling tasty Wal-Mart glucose tablets into my face. (I love the tropical fruit ones.)

Maybe I’ll buy things on Amazon until I’m ready to go back to bed.

No comments: