Sunday, March 2, 2014

What’s everybody eating tonight?

In this post: Winter storm, Republican weatherpeople, hating Oscars.

We’ve had a diaperload of shitty weather in the Dallas metro area today. I’ll begin with a reminder that it was 80° here yesterday, okay? Overnight the temperature fell more than 50° to BELOW FREEZING, and so far today we’ve had torrential rain, thunder and two hours of nothing followed by additional thunder, a hailstorm, a barrage of ice pellets and light snow. It’s 8:15 p.m. as I write this paragraph, and outside it’s 18° with a stiff breeze from the north gusting to 22 m.p.h., which makes the wind chill a stinking 5°. For Texas, people, THIS IS ABSOLUTELY REPULSIVE. And we’re still under a winter storm warning because the roads are a wreck and Texans don’t know how to drive.* Yes, I’m whining. DEAL WITH IT.
I don’t know the name of the weatherperson pictured above but he looks like a Republican so I probably hate him very much. The red star denotes the location of Howdygram headquarters.

Incidentally, if you’re wondering why I’m not watching the Academy Awards tonight it’s because I never watch the Academy Awards ... with the occasional exception for an opening monologue. (Wasn’t Ellen adorable?) Sam and I don’t know any of the acting nominees, never heard of the nominated films, and we don’t give a crap about the current crop of animated features, documentaries, achievements in special effects, screenplays, set decorators, stupid songs or short subjects. Plus we haven’t been inside a theater for more than a decade because the floors are sticky, movies are too damn loud and popcorn costs more than a late-model used car. My idea of an excellent film is The Thin Man (1934) starring William Powell and Myrna Loy.

So here’s a general question: WHAT’S EVERYBODY EATING TONIGHT? I had leftovers a few hours ago but need additional ideas because: 1) I’m hungry again; 2) Sam hasn’t had dinner yet and it’s already 9:30; and 3) inquiring minds want to know. Thank you.

*Texans don’t know how to drive in nice weather, either.

No comments: