Tuesday, December 3, 2013

I use a cane for balance and walk with a gait like Godzilla.

In this post: Kvetch report, storm forecast.

That pitiful sound you hear in the background is my screaming knees. This has been a productive yet physically challenging day for Queen Kvetch of Howdygramland, involving two loads of laundry, ironing, pantry reorganization and stacking the dishwasher, an activity that I hate almost as much as emptying the damn thing. In case you’re new around here, I am a mostly-friendly senior citizen with MOBILITY ISSUES. A lot of them. These include arthritic knees, plantar fasciitis in both feet, muscle weakness in my lower back and legs, diabetic peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage in my limbs) and autonomic neuropathy that makes me lightheaded and short of breath. I use a cane for balance, walk with a gait like Godzilla and usually can’t stand for more than five minutes at a time. Holy crap, right?

At the moment I’m taking a well-deserved breather while I wait for Sam to get home from work. If I need a diversion maybe I’ll refill my seven-day pill sorter.

Compounding my pain this week is the outrageous weather forecast for Thursday and Friday. Tomorrow’s high will be near 80° by mid-afternoon; overnight into Thursday the temperature will drop into the 30s and drag in a winter storm with many consecutive hours of cold rain followed by sleet and ice through Friday. The low Friday morning will be 22°. I might have to wear a blanket over my head and eat two quarts of hot soup.

Thank you.

No comments: